“I represent the interests of foreign parties in Indonesian litigation, arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) proceedings, across a wide range of sectors, including energy & resources, manufacturing and financial institutions. I am passionate about providing practical and commercial solutions to clients in managing and resolving their contentious matters.”
Narendra is an Indonesian-qualified dispute resolution and employment and incentives lawyer who focuses on representing the interests of international clients in Indonesian arbitration and other contentious proceedings, including regulatory investigations. He also helps clients with contingency planning and crisis management in relation to strikes, health & safety breaches, termination of employment, internal regulatory investigations and other employment-related issues.
Narendra has led on many major disputes and investigations. These include advising:
- a European energy company in London seated ICC arbitration proceedings involving a dispute concerning a coal price re-negotiation based on price suggestions from the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.
- a large port operator in Indonesia seated BANI arbitration proceedings on the interpretation of Lump Sum items under a Federation Internationale Des Ingenieurs-Conseils-based contract.
- a Chinese energy company on royalty payments under an Assignment of Overriding Royalty Interest (ORRI) Agreement and the mechanics to withdraw arbitral proceedings brought by ORRI Holders under the 2010 UNCITRAL rules.
- Hutchison Ports Holding and Hutchison Ports Jakarta Pte Limited in a citizen lawsuit commenced by two individuals who sought to annul the authorisation agreement signed between the Indonesian Ministry of Transportation and Jakarta International Container Terminal (JICT), a joint venture company of Hutchison Port Jakarta and Indonesian Port Corporation II, pursuant to which JICT operates the Tanjung Priok container terminal in Jakarta.
- a global securities company on the blocking of brokerage accounts holding certain shares issued on the Indonesia Stock Exchange.
- Newcrest Mining Limited and its Indonesian subsidiary company, Nusa Halmahera Minerals, on a tort claim arising from an air crash incident that took place in Sulawesi.
- a Japanese-owned rubber estate in Industrial Relations Court proceedings against the company’s labour union. The dispute focussed on whether bonus payments were an obligation of the company.
- a leading global mining group in a criminal investigation initiated against a former employee.
- a major oil and gas service provider in various criminal, labour law, and immigration matters surrounding employment terminations.
Narendra has significant experience in commercial arbitration under the rules of Indonesia’s National Arbitration Board (BANI) and Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC). In 2019 he was appointed Regional Ambassador for HK45, the young arm of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (HKIAC).
Narendra is a regular speaker in the areas of arbitration and employment at Parahyangan University.
Education and qualifications
Narendra studied law at Parahyangan University and is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Narendra is an arbitrator with the BANI.
He speaks fluent English and Bahasa.