Senior Foreign Legal Advisor, Linklaters Partner
“I am a corporate and projects lawyer with much experience of Indonesia or Indonesia-related transactions. I have become a trusted adviser to many clients, offering technically sound and an all-round commercially focused perspective that enables them successfully to pursue their business objectives.”
David has extensive experience in corporate, commercial, M&A and projects transactions, with particular expertise in the energy, resources, infrastructure and financial services sectors. A partner with Linklaters, David is currently on secondment as Senior Foreign Legal Advisor with the firm’s alliance firm, Widyawan & Partners, in Jakarta, where he has been based since 2008.
David has led on many market-leading transactions. These include advising:
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and PT. Bank Sumitomo Mitsui Indonesia on the merger of PT. Bank Sumitomo Mitsui Indonesia with PT Bank Tabungan Pensiunan Nasional Tbk
- Pertamina, Marubeni and Sojitz consortium on the development and financing of 1,760MW Jawa 1 gas-fired combined-cycle power project (including an exclusive provision of FSRU) in West Java, Indonesia
- PT Medco Power Indonesia and Ratchaburi Electricity Generation Holding PCL as sponsors on the project financing of a 275MW Gas Fired Power Plant Project in Riau province, Indonesia
- Inpex on the development of its Masela project, Abadi field, offshore Indonesia, one of the largest oil and gas project currently under development in Indonesia
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia in the auction sale of its Indonesian life insurance business, PT Commonwealth Life, to FWD Group
- PT Pamapersada Nusantara on the US$1.21bn acquisition of a 95% interest in an Indonesian company which owns concession rights to the Martabe gold and silver mine in North Sumatra province in Indonesia
David regularly speaks at conferences and seminars. He was a principal speaker at Gas Indonesia Summit 2018 and at FT-AIIB Infrastructure Dialogues: closing the infrastructure financing gap which was held for the first time in Jakarta in August 2018, of which Linklaters and Widyawan & Partners are co-sponsors.
David presents on international law issues to students to universities in Indonesia on a pro bono basis.
Education and qualifications
David studied commerce and law at the University of Melbourne.
He speaks English and conversational Bahasa.